Once you have made the choice, and before you follow it through, you need to know the different steps to locate the perfect surrogate to carry your child. And given that not many intended parents are aware of the path to follow, here’s helping them find their way.
Weigh your options
- First you need to decide whether you want to go for traditional surrogacy or gestational surrogacy.
- You also need to figure out whether you are willing to search for a surrogate on your own, or you wish to take the help of an agency.
Research the law
- You need to look up the surrogacy laws pertaining to the area you inhabit.
- Surrogacy laws vary from country to country, state to state.
Talk It over
- You can talk it over with your family and friends. They can help you with sources and agency information.
- Sometimes, someone close in the family can offer to be the surrogate. There have been instances where a mother has offered to be the surrogate for her infertile daughter.
Talk to agencies
- Look up agencies near your place and fix an appointment.
- Go ahead with the agency only if their modus operandi and values meet your expectations.
- You should consult attorneys experienced in dealing with surrogacy laws.
- Not only do they know the laws in and out, they also have a lot of contacts that can help.
- The next step is to choose the surrogate candidate.
- There are a few specific attributes to look for while selecting a surrogate. Make sure the surrogate you choose has these qualities.
Tips to remember:
1. Be sure to communicate with the surrogate, you need to know if she meets up to your expectations.
2. Ask her about her lifestyle choices and her values before you finalize your choice.
3. It also helps if you interview as many candidates as you want before you make your selection.
These are the basic steps that you need to follow to ensure that the surrogate you choose is the right candidate to carry and give birth to your little bundle of joy. Choose wisely and you will be rewarded with the joys of parenthood at the end!